Forum Archive - Drupal - Persistent Translations

Drupal - Persistent Translations
Mar 28, 2013 2:58 am by drupal_gtranslate
I'm hoping there's a way to make gtranslate in Drupal be "persistent" in that if a visitor selects a language, and then browses to another page, the translated content is shown with gtranslate instead of the original content. I don't necessarily need SEF urls, so if this just worked behind the scenes without changing the URL, that would be fine (I realize that "SEF" urls require some sort of subscription with the gtranslate service). How can my goal be accomplished?
Re: Drupal - Persistent Translations
Mar 28, 2013 8:06 pm by Edvard
Hi, If you use the on the fly translation method after navigating elsewhere the selected language will appear shortly if on the destination page there is GTranslate selector. You should see the original content for about 3-4 seconds depending on your content size. If you do not want to see the original content after navigating you can try to use Redirect translation method or get a paid Pro version or subscribe for Enterprise version.
Mar 29, 2013 2:21 pm by drupal_gtranslate
Thanks for the response. I appreciate it. Unfortunately, that doesn't appear to be happening. We are using on-the-fly translation, and I can click a language, which translates the page, but after the page is translated, I click a link, and the original language (English) shows up without it ever being translated. As an aside, I don't know if this has anything to do with anything, but the site's URL is set to domain.com/zh-hant, not necessarily for SEF functionality (and in some ways, I think that might be able to go away). So when I'm on test.domain.com/zh-hant, and THEN I've clicked the desired gtranslate language, and then click on a link (let's just say 'node-33' for purpose of example), I'm taken to test.domain.com/zh-hant/node-33. And the content doesn't get translated, even after waiting a few seconds.
Mar 29, 2013 7:40 pm by Yana
Hi, Which version you installed? Please try to use free HTML code. You can download it from https://gtranslate.io/#pricing .
Mar 31, 2013 3:46 pm by Edvard
Please check, may be you have some javascript errors? If you can post your website address here I can check it for you. Thanks!
Apr 1, 2013 4:12 pm by drupal_gtranslate
Thanks for the message. Here's the site: http://test.nvtongzhisheng.org The "translation" dropdown is at the bottom left of the page (currently).
Apr 2, 2013 12:47 pm by Edvard
I think you have mixed language content that's why it doesn't work when you navigate to another page. Can you try to use Redirect translation method? Thanks!
Apr 3, 2013 4:15 pm by drupal_gtranslate
I tried that method earlier, which didn't work. However, I just did it again to be sure and to explain what it did. Looks like it works even less than the "on-the-fly" method, and doesn't even translate the content to start with. But I'm pretty sure THAT's a result of the mixed language. I'll try to see if there's anyway I can get the language to be completely English and see if that fixes the on-the-fly method.
Apr 3, 2013 4:20 pm by drupal_gtranslate
Unfortunately, turning off the other languages, and setting English to default didn't fix the problem (after I switched the gtranslate behavior back to on-the-fly). The theme has some translation built into it, so I wonder if that's throwing anything off...
Apr 3, 2013 4:41 pm by drupal_gtranslate
Also, I must have missed the question from earlier, re: which version are we using. We are using the Free version on Drupal 6 (http://drupal.org/project/gtranslate). However, it does sound like the site owner is open to a paid version, if that will help.
Apr 4, 2013 3:09 pm by Edvard
Hi, In Enterprise version we can auto detect your original/mixed language and make the translation. We have a 30 days satisfaction guarantee, so you can try it. Thanks!