Forum Archive - [Solved] Gtranslate pro not working after update

[Solved] Gtranslate pro not working after update
Mar 18, 2011 10:30 pm by Nirmalanow
Hi Edvard, I installed the update you sent, and now Gtranslate does not work when I am using the pro version. It works fine with the free version, but when I turn on Pro and use Redirect, the drop down menu appears but when I select a different language the page still appears in English, even though the url shows the new address (i.e. http://endless-satsang.com/nl/nondual-a ... atsang.htm) I only changed the permissions of the main folder: /gtranslate/cache and not the folders inside this folder. I used binary mode when uploading. I did not do this: ----4. Edit /gtranslate/config.php file to add your API key and username/password need for editing translations----as I do not think I will be editing any of the translations manually. I removed the old gtranslate folder before installing the new one you sent. Under advanced parameters, I have caching set to Use Global and the cache time to 900. Is that correct? Any ideas or suggestions on what I need to do to get it working? Thanks, Nirmala
Re: Gtranslate pro not working after update
Mar 19, 2011 4:02 pm by Edvard
You need to complete also the step 4 to add your API key.
Mar 19, 2011 4:55 pm by Nirmalanow
Ok, I added a api key that I got from the page on google and inserted it into the php file along with the username and password for my google account, and it still is not translating on my site. Can you show me how the config.php file is supposed to look after I insert the key? Anything else I might be doing wrong?
Mar 19, 2011 5:01 pm by Edvard
You don't need to put your google username and password. Just a minute ago I was able to see it working, now it shows a blank page...
Mar 19, 2011 5:10 pm by Nirmalanow
I took out the username and password, but it still is not working. I tried a different wording for the API key which is why the pages appeared blank. but for me it is still just showing the pages in english no matter what language I select. Again can you show me how the config.php file is supposed to be worded? I think I may have messed it up now from all of my experiments to try and get it to work. Thanks!
Mar 19, 2011 5:12 pm by Edvard
I can see it working: http://endless-satsang.com/nl/nondual-a ... atsang.htm
Mar 19, 2011 5:26 pm by Nirmalanow
It was working for a minute. I redownloaded the php file you sent me and then just pasted in the key. Then it was working.....but the pages took a very long time to appear when I clicked on a language. Is this just because it is rebuilding the cache from scratch, so I have to wait for the translation to be done before the page appears? Now it is not working again and I did not do anything between the time it was working and then when it stopped again :cry: Also, I still am not sure how to set the cache under advanced parameters in the module. Should it say "no caching" or should it say "Use Global"? And is 900 a good value for cache time?
Mar 19, 2011 5:31 pm by Nirmalanow
I clicked on the link in your post and the translated page showed up, but then when I click on another page it shows up in English. I tried in another browser (IE) and still am getting all pages in English.
Mar 19, 2011 5:33 pm by Nirmalanow
Here's another weird thing: on some of the languages it is translating the menu at the top of the page, but not translating the rest of the page.
Mar 19, 2011 5:36 pm by Edvard
You need to Use Global in the module options. I can see you have installed it correctly. Now you just need to wait. The speed will increase over time when cache will grow. Now you have exceeded your API key daily limit. The translations will continue the next day, meanwhile it will show the original version. You can check your API key usage on https://code.google.com/apis/console/
Mar 19, 2011 5:49 pm by Nirmalanow
Let me see if I understand how it works. With this new update, Google will translate a certain amount each day. But now if I go over the limit, then the pages will show up in English until the next day when my limit is reset. However, over time the pages will be cached and that will reduce the tendency to go over my limit, and also will mean more and more pages are available for viewing in their translated form all of the time. This way I can keep using the translation service without being blocked like was happening before this new update to Gtranslate. Is that all correct? And finally, what value should I use for the cache time? Is 900 (the default) high enough or would a higher number keep the translated pages in my cache for longer and therefore reduce the number of times I go over limit? Remember I have a fairly large site with a lot of visitors. Thanks for helping me out and for this new update. It will be great to not have to worry about being blocked again.
Mar 19, 2011 5:53 pm by Edvard
Yes, it is correct! Just one note, that it will show already translated strings even if the limit is reached for that day. You don't need to worry about the module cache, it is for module settings. The translations cache time is defined in config.php file and it is set to 1 year by default, no need to change that value.
Mar 19, 2011 5:59 pm by Nirmalanow
That all sounds good. Thanks for everything!