Forum Archive - Some words not translating - Joomla site

Some words not translating - Joomla site
Jun 6, 2013 11:22 am by siliconchick
Hi - for some reason, GTranslate is working on about 95% of the text on each page, but some words / phrases are not being translated, mainly but not entirely, on the menu items and on the form. I have used the WC3 Markup validator and fixed a couple of minor errors, but it hasn't solved the problem. The url is www.falconshipschandlers.co.uk/index.php - if anyone has any suggestions I would be most grateful. Thanks for reading!
Re: Some words not translating - Joomla site
Jun 6, 2013 3:49 pm by Yana
Hi, GTranslate translates the page using Google Translator. As with all machine translation, there's always the risk that the translations are inaccurate. Please check the following link http://translate.google.com/#auto/ru/Wi ... 0Equipment If you want you can use GTranslate Pro or GTranslate Enterprise versions and you can manually correct the translations.
Jun 7, 2013 3:09 pm by siliconchick
Thanks for the response. I can see why it might not attempt to translate proper names, but wondered that it didn't pick up on common phrases like 'your name', 'your email' etc. However, it's doing a brilliant job on most of the body text, so I'm very happy to live with it as long as it isn't something I have done wrong in the configuration. Great extension!
Jun 7, 2013 4:30 pm by Yana
Thank you for your kind words!
Jun 18, 2013 12:50 pm by Actifuse
Hi Siliconchick, I am not sure if you have solved the problem but i had the same. It turned out that words in the middle of a sentence that start with a capital letter do not get translated at all. Perhaps you have the same as i did? Once i replaced the capital letters with non capital letters, it worked for me. The only thing i need to do is do a grammar check. Good luck!
Jun 18, 2013 2:06 pm by Yana
Thank you !
Jun 18, 2013 5:48 pm by siliconchick
Ah! I thought you might just have solved it, but when I checked, no, that doesn't seem to be the problem.... The bits that don't get translated are mainly either in the menu or else in a Fox contact form - tho some of that does translate, so it's not a matter of it just not working with that module, or modules generally. Having said that, it probably is a module issue..... Interestingly, in the menu, the words do or don't get translated according to the language chosen, but in the contact form, the same bits are always missed. I'm afraid I have rather lazily given up on it as it works over 90% and the bits it doesn't do are fairly self-explanatory (I think!) Thanks very much for your input, though and in advance to anyone else who might be able to throw some light on this! The site (still in development as at this date) is at http://www.falconshipschandlers.co.uk/index.php
Jun 18, 2013 8:51 pm by Actifuse
Alright, I just had a look at your site. I check the translation from English to dutch. If i look at the menu to the right it seems to confirm the same issue i had. Mind you, the first word of the sentence DOES get recognised for some odd reason like on my own site. Example: Producten & Supplies <--- Supplies is with an S text in mid: Vanuit onze basis in Falmouth Docks, UK dekken we de South West Britse havens naar nationale en internationale bestemmingen. <-- South West ( in dutch we type it with a small letter --> zuid west. English i believe uses a capital. Bonded Stores / Marine Vlaggen / BA Grafieken & Admiralty Publicaties / Marine Oils /Cabine, Pantry & Galley Stores / Marine Verven & Vernissen / Dek en Motor Stores / Medisch Logistiek & Port Services Bepalingen Marine Chemicals Wilhelmsen Ships Equipment <-- all words that do not get translated have capital letters. As you have noticed .. some do get translated with capital letters. It is almost as if the programmer got tired of following through on the capital letters. Your contact form probably uses a field TPL recogniser in its .php .. if so it needs to be edited manually from your side. Look for the language .ini file Perhaps this will stimulate you to have a look at it again :) In the meantime back to my problem .. sigh. Good luck!
Jun 19, 2013 8:59 am by siliconchick
Hi again That is so kind of you to have a look! And of course I will feel very guilty if I don't now go back at least to the contact form to see what I can do.... Thanks again and good luck with your grammar check