Forum Archive - API key

API key
Jun 6, 2012 7:29 am by sasakerkez
Hi. What is the purpose of API key? I have bought GTrans PRo... Sasa
Re: API key
Jun 6, 2012 8:11 am by Yana
Hi, In general, GTranslate Pro works without API key. API is an optional feature. There are some limitations on the number of characters you can translate per day. There is 100.000 character daily limit. So every day 100KB of your site will be translated and cached.Also it will start the translation from the most popular content, since the translations are done on demand. API key is a commercial and it is an optional feature. As of February 2012, Google charges $20 for every 1 million characters translated through the Translate API.
Feb 6, 2013 4:52 am by Ch33kyMunkee
So, every day a little more of my site gets translated yes? So after 365 days, there is 36,500KB of my site translated and cached with Gtrans? Going on what you said before, in a year this would be 365 days x 100,000 characters = 36,500,000 characters. Given that an average article on my site is about 3,000 characters (including spaces) after a year, Gtrans has translated about 12,167 pages divided amongst the 58 languages available. That being the case, Gtrans has translated approx 209 pages of my original language in to all the languages available. Breaking in down further, I can expect approx 17 pages a month to be translated in to every available language. Is this concept right? Because I have had Gtrans pro for 3 months now and I am getting smashed by Google API fees. Just so readers know, 2 of themonths came in at around US$130 and my 2nd month came in at US$922!@!! I am happy to take the slow boat of having 17 pages a month translated by GTrans to avoid these fees. Can GTrans please advise if my reasoning above is sound and that is how the whole thing actually works
Feb 6, 2013 10:29 am by Edvard
Hi, If you would like to use the API key you need to pay for it. However it will work also without API key, currently there are no limits. We offer also Enterprise version which doesn't require API key from your side as well.
Aug 27, 2013 9:36 am by Tllrrb5
If the Google Translate API Key is optional, what is the advantage of providing that over installations not using API Key?
Aug 27, 2013 9:23 pm by Yana
Hi, Please read my previous post: In general, GTranslate Pro works without API key. API is an optional feature. There are some limitations on the number of characters you can translate per day. There is 100.000 character daily limit. So every day 100KB of your site will be translated and cached.Also it will start the translation from the most popular content, since the translations are done on demand. API key is a commercial and it is an optional feature. As of February 2012, Google charges $20 for every 1 million characters translated through the Translate API.

Try GTranslate with a free 15 day trial