Forum Archive - responsive webdesign and googleapis hrs.swf

responsive webdesign and googleapis hrs.swf
Jul 3, 2013 2:51 pm by responsive-cms
Hi. This is my first posting in here. So let me first say a big thank you for this great joomla extension. It works perfect. Just to let you know something I found out. google translate always loads this code/flash file, if u use a browser with (activated) flash plugin: <div style="position: absolute; top: -1000px; height: 1px; width: 1px;"> <object width="400" height="500" data="http://translate.googleapis.com/translate_static/js/element/hrs.swf" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" name="fI0hiokzm79" id="fI0hiokzm79"><param value="always" name="allowScriptAccess"></object> </div> In case of / concerning to responsive webdesign, this can cause bad/unwanted site behaviour, if browser width is less than the 400px. Cause the object name/id always change after realoding the site with empty browser cache, and the object is inside a div without an id/class, you can not address it for css styling, f.e. to decrease the width.
Re: responsive webdesign and googleapis hrs.swf
Jul 17, 2013 2:45 pm by cristian64
Hi. I'm dealing right now with this problem. After including Google Translate API Website Translator, a .swf is added to the bottom of your HTML. This object is 400px wide, and it breaks the layout in phones smaller than 400px. There is no easy way to hide this element although it is still possible with CSS. However, the actual problem is that some browsers do not support Flash (or it is disabled by the user), so the gadget to translate the website does not work in these browsers. Since my site does not contain any other object tag, I managed to fix the problem with: div > object { width: 10px; }
Jul 17, 2013 4:28 pm by responsive-cms
However, the actual problem is that some browsers do not support Flash (or it is disabled by the user), so the gadget to translate the website does not work in these browsers. Shit, really. Just tested it with Opera mini Browser. It does not work, but the gadget is displayed. Thats not good at all, and not user / mobile user = not future friendly at all. A bad workaround would be not to display the translation gadget if no flash is detected. At the developer of theJoomla Gtranslate extension: Is it possible to use the non flash version like AJAx / Javascript? Check this article, where the different versions are discussed: http://www.labnol.org/internet/google-t ... ets/10135/ The downside is that the new Google Translate bar requires the Flash player so if someone is viewing your site on an iPhone or a browser that doesn’t support Flash, they’ll still see a link to translate that page but it won’t work as expected. The other issue with Google Translate Bar is the design – it’s beautiful but they have definitely not optimized for small screens like that of netbooks.
Sep 4, 2013 1:54 pm by responsive-cms
At the developer of theJoomla Gtranslate extension: Is it possible to use the non flash version like AJAx / Javascript? Check this article, where the different versions are discussed: http://www.labnol.org/internet/google-t ... ets/10135/ Can the developer please answer?
Sep 4, 2013 2:01 pm by Edvard
We are using the same script provided by Google: //translate.google.com/translate_a/element.js?cb=googleTranslateElementInit There is no requirements for Flash player. The hrs.swf won't be added if you use your iPhone.
Sep 4, 2013 2:39 pm by responsive-cms
We are using the same script provided by Google: //translate.google.com/translate_a/element.js?cb=googleTranslateElementInit There is no requirements for Flash player. The hrs.swf won't be added if you use your iPhone. Please read responsive-webdesign-and-googleapis-hrs-swf-t3074.html#p12988 "Just tested it with Opera mini Browser (which does not have the flash player).. It does not work, but the gadget is displayed. " Tested it a minute ago, same result. Same if i switch the user agent in Firefox to iphone.
Sep 4, 2013 5:17 pm by Edvard
Can you please post your website address, so I can make tests?
Sep 4, 2013 5:38 pm by responsive-cms
http://wp1137341.server-he.de/www.synap ... r.de_2013/
Sep 4, 2013 5:43 pm by Edvard
I have just tried it with my iPhone and it worked for me.
Sep 4, 2013 8:51 pm by responsive-cms
iPhone without installed flash ? See also responsive-webdesign-and-googleapis-hrs-swf-t3074.html#p12986
Sep 5, 2013 7:09 am by Edvard
Yes, regular iPhone without any flash.
Sep 5, 2013 7:28 am by responsive-cms
Just tested it again; working: Desktop: Firefox, Chrome, Opera, IE8, Android: Dolphin, Chrome, Android preinstalled not working #1: Desktop: Firefox with iphone useragent, Android: Firefox not working #2: Android: Opera Mini not working # = click on the icon / select item in the lang list does: #1 = take no effect at all #2 = site is reloading, but the lang does not switch
Sep 5, 2013 7:32 am by Edvard
So you have came to conclusion that it does not work on my iPhone and that flash is required? Not sure what you are trying to achieve here.
Sep 5, 2013 7:59 am by responsive-cms
I want to make sure that your great extension, thanks again !, works on all devices/browsers.
Sep 5, 2013 8:03 am by Edvard
I do not have Android to test it, but I'm sure that it will be OK with it as well since Google uses Android itself and their code is optimized for Android devices as well.
Sep 5, 2013 8:14 am by responsive-cms
Well, as you can see in my posting responsive-webdesign-and-googleapis-hrs-swf-t3074.html#p13583 and the one by christian64 responsive-webdesign-and-googleapis-hrs-swf-t3074.html#p12986 it does not.
Sep 6, 2013 1:50 pm by Edvard
If you buy me an Android device I'll test it and point out the issue.
Sep 8, 2013 11:22 am by responsive-cms
If you buy me an Android device I'll test it and point out the issue. I don´t understand your annoyed comment. Please don´t take it personal. I guess the goal is to get the extension at the best level = work on all devices/OS. If u are interested in that, f.e. there are software-emulations of mobile OS.