Forum Archive - Afrikaans shows up instead of English

Afrikaans shows up instead of English
Sep 19, 2013 4:06 pm by dmmontana
Joomla 2.5 GTranslate 3.0.x.32 My site is in English. In the GTranslate module, I have selected to show Spanish and English in a dropdown menu. The translation method is "On Fly." Analytics is turned off. I'm not using flags. If I click on English in the dropdown when the site is already displaying in English, the site translates to Afrikaans, which is set to "no" in the module. The only way to get back to English then is to select Spanish and then Ingles. I tried changing the translation method to Google Default but then the translation module doesn't show up at all in IE8. Can you help with this issue? Thank you. Denise Montana
Re: Afrikaans shows up instead of English
Sep 19, 2013 4:08 pm by dmmontana
I just see that someone else reported this issue in May, 2013: english-site-translates-afrikaans-when-usa-flag-chosen-t3007.html. You requested his site's web address. My site can be found at http://166.78.22.222.
Sep 20, 2013 12:27 pm by Yana
Hi, Just have checked your website and can see the Spanish version of your website. Please try to clear the browser cache and check again .
Sep 20, 2013 6:20 pm by dmmontana
Thanks but the issue doesn't have anything to do with being able to see the Spanish translation. That part works fine. To replicate the problem, while you're on the English version of the site please go to the GTranslate module at the bottom of the page and click on English. You will see that when you do that, the site translates to Afrikaans instead of staying in English.
Oct 11, 2013 5:27 pm by dmmontana
I'm still hoping for a reply/resolution on this. Please follow the steps above to replicate the problem on my site: http://166.78.22.222. Thank you.
Oct 12, 2013 1:58 pm by Yana
Hi, Just have checked and cannot see any problem. The GTranslate is working properly. If the language is English , it is inactive in the dropdown list.
Dec 10, 2013 6:37 pm by tdfoxdale
We are having the same problem. Upon hitting the site, the language is English. If, under the GTranslate dropdown, English is chosen, the page is translated to Afrikaans. One then has to chose Spanish, and then Ingles to get back to English. Our URL is: http://www.rfsd.k12.co.us/ Thanks, Tim
Dec 11, 2013 4:27 pm by Yana
Dear Tim, Please try to change the translation method to "Redirect" .
Dec 11, 2013 6:12 pm by tdfoxdale
Yep, that helped. Thank you! Is this a workaround for a bug (that may, at some point be fixed), or a "feature"? :D Thanks again, for you quick and helpful response. Tim
Dec 11, 2013 8:25 pm by Yana
You're welcome!
Dec 12, 2013 2:15 pm by cwjs
HI, I have the same problem, but if I change the translation method to redirect it breaks the civic cookie contol api, as the address bar now reads http://translate.googleusercontent.com/ ... FllvT_sYqg Whilst this is a way around the problem it is not a fix Regars Clive
Dec 12, 2013 4:10 pm by tdfoxdale
Thanks again, Yana. When we used "Redirect" we lost a lot of styling, so we opted to hack the dropdown menu and commented out the "Select Language" option. Now, the page starts with "English" selected in the dropdown menu, and the only items in the menu are "English" and "Spanish". Seems to work well. Tim
Oct 22, 2014 7:36 pm by jasons
tdfoxdale - Would you mind telling me where to go to comment out the "Select language" option? I would like to try this route out and see if it works for my site.
Oct 23, 2014 10:50 am by Yana
Hi, It is in the source code of the GTranslate free module. If you are using joomla module it should be in \modules\mod_gtranslate\tmpl\default.php file. For wordpress it is in the /wp-content/plugins/gtranslate/gtranslate.php file
Oct 23, 2014 4:28 pm by jasons
Thank you Yana! I am using joomla and that did the trick.
Oct 24, 2014 7:43 am by Yana
You're welcome!