Forum Archive - Canonical question

Canonical question
Sep 23, 2014 6:57 pm by foedies
Hi, I'm using Gtranslate Pro to translate my pages to different languages. The thing is the canonical URL keeps saying: <link href="http://www.foedies.com/" rel="canonical"/> when on the english page telling Google it's duplicate content while in fact it's not. You can imagine I would like the canonical URL to say: <link href="http://www.foedies.com/en/" rel="canonical"/> when on the English version of the site. When I disable SH404SEF it does state the right URL. Maybe you guys have experience with this issue and can point me in the right direction. I also asked Anything Digital, but they haven't come up with a good solution. How can I change the canonical so that the language code is in the canonical URL? Many thanks for your answer. Regards, Sander
Re: Canonical question
Sep 23, 2014 8:15 pm by Edvard
Hi, We can modify your template to set a correct canonical URL. If you upgrade to Enterprise version you will not have issues like that. Thank you!
Sep 24, 2014 11:34 am by foedies
Hi Edvard, Thanks for your reply. I can't upgrade to Enterprise, because it didn't work correctly with Siteground in combination with CLoudflare. Cloudflare pushed all the traffic through 'www'. So I would need http://www.en.foedies.com for example. The pro version works amazing with Siteground and Cloudflare. I have a load time of 600ms now. Would changing the template work with the SH404sef component? I found out the when switching off SEO management (meta descr, etc) Gtranslate translates the Title. When switched on it doesn't. But when switching it on, it removes the canonical. Just a bit of insights. :) What do I need to do to change the template, so the canonical has the language code in it? Regards, Sander
Sep 24, 2014 9:22 pm by Edvard
Hi, I'm sure that we can help you to make a correct configuration so it will be fine with Enterprise and Cloudflare, so you will be able to use also the URL translation feature. Can you try to change the plugin order, so GTranslate is in the last order? I cannot say exactly where you need to make the change, but if you can give me FTP access I can help you to do it. Thank you!
Sep 25, 2014 11:11 am by foedies
Hi, Do you have an e-mailaddress where I can send the FTP details? I'm sticking with the Pro version for now. Would it be possible to get URL translations in the Pro version? I wouldn't mind paying a bit extra for this. Regards, Sander
Sep 25, 2014 7:30 pm by Edvard
You may send to [email protected] The URL translation feature cannot be enabled in the Pro version. Thanks!
Sep 29, 2014 9:36 pm by foedies
Hi Edvard, I've been thinking it over and have a couple of questions before I want to change back to Enterprise. 1. Would I get a refund on the Pro version I purchased a week ago? 2. Would you be able to install it on my website, because I didn't get it to work the last time? If the answer is yes on both questions, I would like to change to Enterprise :). If you agree I'll send you the login details on [email protected] . Regards, Sander
Sep 30, 2014 6:39 am by Edvard
Yes, it is possible. You may also pay the difference between Pro and annual Enterprise version and I'll upgrade it for you. Please contact me on my email for more info. Thanks!
Sep 30, 2014 9:22 am by foedies
Hi Edvard, I've send you an e-mail with all the information. I'm restoring a back-up now, but this should be finished within an hour from now. Regards, Sander