Forum Archive - Why gtranslate is not putting cache files back together

Why gtranslate is not putting cache files back together
Mar 7, 2016 7:37 pm by innerself
I am trying to understand the pro version. I have been using it for years with mixed results. The current pages are never fully translated and many not at all. I looked at them recently and almost nothing was translated even the very old pages that I know where once translated. All the cache files are there and accessible. There are gigs and gigs of them. The program seems to still be working somewhat for there are a smattering of words or phrases translated. I always assume the reason the pages don't get translated is they are up against a daily limit (limit,txt) of characters from google and that gets used up by search engines hitting them. I have asked this question several times but you never seem to answer it. You don't seem to offer the pro version anymore??? Is this because the concept no longer works properly???? Or are you just pushing the enterprise. I do like the enterprise service but never was able to solve the search engine problem of them using so much bandwidth and I can't afford to feed those beasts. And it doesn't make any sense to block them does it? What I don't understand is why gtranslate doesn't put these many thousands of cache files that it has accumulated all these years back together to at least form a more translated page. It's almost as if it is starting over again over again and over again. Is there a time limit on the files? Mind you I am not bitching but am simplify trying to find a workable solution.
Re: Why gtranslate is not putting cache files back together
Mar 7, 2016 8:53 pm by Edvard
Hi, Currently we do not support Pro version and stopped the development. Pro version currently doesn't translate new content if you do not use Google Translate API key, which is not cheap. We recommend upgrading your Pro to one of our 3 new plans: https://gtranslate.io/#pricing The translated cache in Pro version is structured to be one file per translated string. If you have a lot of content or you have random generated keywords it may cause issues, since file count is limited in many hostings. Thanks!
Mar 7, 2016 9:56 pm by innerself
I sorta felt that might be coming to the pro version years ago when it was acting very flaking on and off again. I just started using the free version which worked very well and just let the pro version bring in some traffic in the background. Now I have too many pages untranslated and it is generating way to much duplicate content for SEO. I have been negligent for not taking care of this before now. I am not sure what you mean by "random generated keywords". Since I control my server set up I will look into the file count situation. I always wondered about that as I have many gigs of files. It seems a waste to lose all those pages that were fully translated in the past. I presume that there are a lot of dead files in the cache directories from changes to pages over the years to the side bars,menus etc although the article text has not changed.. If I could get gtranslate pro to generate from those cache files I could capture those pages before deleting everything. I already have 2 enterprise accounts and will need at least another. Thanks for you help bobby
Mar 8, 2016 11:38 am by Edvard
Hi, If you have removed some of your content the cache files won't be removed. We never delete the translations and it always grows. You may reduce the number of languages you use, which will reduce the number of cache files. Thanks!
Mar 8, 2016 3:31 pm by innerself
Sorry, I guess I was too verbose and my question was unclear. I checked to be sure of my file system which is ext4 so the number of files should not be a linux problem. I am still thinking that the reason gtranslate doesn't put the cache files back together to form a page is because there are so many files in the directory not the number of languages. Not a linux problem but a gtranslate problem because of the sheer number of files??? Is there a timing mechanism in the code that says render with it found so to say? Can you confirm this or have another idea?
Mar 8, 2016 3:34 pm by Edvard
Your question doesn't make sense for me. May be you can just describe your issue?
Jul 6, 2016 4:26 pm by YaegerDesign
...Pro version currently doesn't translate new content if you do not use Google Translate API key, which is not cheap... How can we utilize the Google Translate API in the Pro version? It seems to me that if site content is static, this would be a one time charge...and money well spent.