Forum Archive - Different URLs for languages

Different URLs for languages
May 14, 2011 10:28 pm by [email protected]
I'm using Joomla 1.6 with AceSEF and I bought GTranslate. I only need 3 languages for my site, and I need to be able to manually choose the URLs for all my pages, which I already can do for my main language using AceSEF. My main language is french. ~40% of the pages are in English and ~10% of the pages are in Spanish. Also, I need a language switcher button which will point to the respective page in a different language if it exist, and redirect to home page if there is no translation. (yes, I want some pages to remain untranslated). So to sum it up, I want to know how to : - Have a language switcher button that points to the respective page - Different URLs for all language (not only in a /en folder, but also a different filename ex. french : www.mysite.com/patates.html www.mysite.com/en/potatos.html www.mysite.com/es/papas.html - ...and if the page has no translation, the language switch link needs to point to the respective language's home page. Thanks!
Re: Different URLs for languages
May 16, 2011 12:29 pm by Edvard
Mixed content is not a problem, you can turn on language auto detect feature... The language switcher can be customized to do what you need. You can use .htaccess to make the rewriting of the URLs.
May 17, 2011 4:41 pm by [email protected]
Also, can I get Gtranslate to work locally? (I work on my client's site on my computer with xampp) Thank you.
May 17, 2011 6:48 pm by [email protected]
Also, I use AceSEF for URL rewriting to get exactly the URLs I want for everything, and I need to avoid using visible redirections. (links that point to one address and make you end to another) Therefore, I don't know if .htaccess redirection would work. (need the links in site to point to their destination)
May 18, 2011 11:02 am by Edvard
You can use it on your localhost, you just need to configure your hosts file to direct your domain name to your local server. AceSEF is compatible with GTranslate Pro.