Forum Archive - Gtranslator Pro problem

Gtranslator Pro problem
Dec 1, 2011 4:48 am by happygeek
Running Joomla 1.5. Website: http://www.labc3.com Gtranslator non-pro version worked fine. Server and PHP information available at: http://www.labc3.com/gtranslate/info.php Main_Lang changed to zh-TW in config.php which I believe is correct. When switched to English, only menu items are translated into English. The contents are not translated at all. When switched to other languages, no translation whatsoever. The debug.txt is not very helpful. It looks like the setup is working. Please help
Re: Gtranslator Pro problem
Dec 1, 2011 4:52 am by happygeek
In English mode, I noticed that the first line of the first article is translated correctly. I occasionally see "Cannot translate: 業餘愛好者!業餘愛好者!etc" on the top-left side of the web page. It looks like Gtranslate Pro does not know how to handle this article.
Dec 1, 2011 6:24 am by happygeek
I did a further investigation. Looks like the error was caused by Gtranslator Pro. The Chinese paragraph is not parsed correctly and hence caused Gtranslator Pro sending a whole chunk of data to the server. Chinese system uses a different symbols for period, comma, etc..
Dec 1, 2011 12:30 pm by Edvard
Hi, Can you separate long texts with many sentences by wrapping sentences with <span> tag? Ex. <span>sentence1</span> <span>sentence2</span>, etc... Also, you can use force_translation parameter to forcibly make it translate what is possible: Ex. http://www.labc3.com/en/?force_translation=1
Dec 1, 2011 12:39 pm by happygeek
The article is not different from other articles. I believe it's a bug in Gtranslator Pro. It probably got confused by the font size or text color that this article uses. And how can I force translation for the visitors?
Dec 1, 2011 1:00 pm by happygeek
I figured out the problem. It is like what I said in my previous message. Gtranslate Pro does not parse the paragraph in Chinese correctly. If I split one paragraph into several small ones, they got translated correctly. There is some work need to be done by Gtranslate Pro to parse paragraphs written in Chinese correctly. Like I said, Chinese system uses different symbols for period and comma. In English they are ',' and '.'. In Chinese they are ',' and '。'.
Dec 1, 2011 1:02 pm by Edvard
The problem is that the translation request goes to google with no problem as I can see in the debug info, but it is not able to translate it. I suggest to seperate that text into chunks. It should be clear that not everything is possible to translate even for Google. I suggest to make it friendly for the translator instead of using force_translation parameter (which is possible btw).
Dec 1, 2011 1:07 pm by happygeek
Please check the link: http://www.labc3.com/en/?force_translation=1 I repeat the article in green color twice. The first one is segmented into several block by me. As you can see the first one is translated but not the second one. Please explain why the first article got translated but not the second one while the content are the same. Also Gtranslate non-pro works just fine.
Dec 1, 2011 1:08 pm by Edvard
You see, the problem of separating the text into sentences is bigger than what solves GTranslate. It is possible to do of course and reach about 90% accuracy solving that problem, however it will became a performance issue. So we keep it simple and fast and suggest to use natural separation using html tags. Usually authors use a lot of formatting when writing an article, so we suggest to do the same.
Dec 1, 2011 1:10 pm by Edvard
The second one doesn't get translated, because it is very long to translate at once.
Dec 1, 2011 1:14 pm by happygeek
You are asking me to reformat almost every article and this problem could persist for all future customers. Each block is far less than 2000 bytes and I don't understand why Gtranslate Pro has such problem but not Gtranslate. I am willing to help you to solve the problem. But looks like you just want to get rid of this case.
Dec 1, 2011 1:21 pm by happygeek
It is not only about length. There are something else. In the following link some paragraphs are small is size but still can not get translated. http://www.labc3.com/en/index.php/2011- ... nslation=1
Dec 1, 2011 1:24 pm by Edvard
Since it is Chinese that limit is decreased to about 1000 or less, since one character in Chinese uses 3 bytes. I want to be clear. We are not going to change anything in GTranslate Pro to solve that issue for already mentioned reasons. There is 2 solutions for you right now. You will need to pay and use Google Translate API key or make your articles to use at least some html formatting. You can see that not all your articles have that issue. Only those which don't use formatting at all. There are differences in the Pro and free versions. The free version sends the whole page to Google which translate everything on their side. Pro sends parsed texts out of page and it uses HTTP protocol and GET method which has a limit for the length of the URL. If you use API POST method will be used instead which has no limit by definition.
Dec 1, 2011 1:30 pm by happygeek
If you click into the articles, you will find out that almost every article is not translated fully. I am using Joomla hence I am not supposed to do any styling or formating in the text. Some articles are less then 1000 words and still have problem. Please refund. This product is a joke.
Dec 1, 2011 1:37 pm by Edvard
Sure, we will refund your money. Please stop blaming it, it is not a joke.
Dec 1, 2011 1:48 pm by happygeek
Thanks for the refund. I will share my experience on my website. It will be in Chinese though.
Dec 1, 2011 2:40 pm by happygeek
Gtranslate Pro is a great idea. I hope you and your team can improve it in the future.