Forum Archive - Question on changed URL's with GTranslate Pro.

Question on changed URL's with GTranslate Pro.
Dec 15, 2011 2:34 pm by nemmar
Edvard, I have GTranslate Pro installed on my Joomla 1.7.3 site which you installed for me 2 months ago and it seems to be working well since my translated pages are getting indexed by Google. I had "Search Engine Friendly URLs" turned on in global config settings but I did NOT have "Use URL rewriting" turned on since my Joomla site with GTranslate Pro was setup a few months ago. So all of my URL's had /index.php/ at the beginning after the domain. I now turned on "Use URL rewriting" and have renamed htaccess.txt to .htaccess in the root directory. Below is the code in the top section of my .htacess file and I have a few questions: 1) Can you tell me if I have it correctly by having your GTranslate code at the top of the .htaccess file followed by the Joomla default code from the htaccess.txt file? 2) Since all of my site URL's have now changed and no longer have the /index.php/ at the beginning after the domain, do I need to clear all the GTranslate language cache folders so they can refresh using the new correct URL's? 3) How often do the GTranslated pages refresh or renew the cache files/pages they have stored in the gtranslate folders on my site? I was wondering since I don't know if they continually check for any updates made to my site pages so GTranslate Pro will re-translate the updated pages.
Re: Question on changed URL's with GTranslate Pro.
Dec 17, 2011 3:59 pm by Edvard
No need to do anything if it works after your changes. No need to worry about the cache. It doesn't cache the whole pages, but the texts from your pages. So if you have some text in one page which is being used in other pages it will be translated from the cache.
Dec 17, 2011 7:56 pm by nemmar
Edvard, I want to only have the new URLs of pages indexed and not the old ones with the /index.php/ in the URL which have already been indexed by Google. But I want to use a 301 redirect so I don't lose all of those pages ranks and showing up in Google search results. Is there something I can adjust in the .htaccess file to do this?
Dec 17, 2011 8:13 pm by Edvard
I don't think that it is related to GTranslate, but you are OK. Your old URLs should also work, no need to worry.