Forum Archive - Blocking translation of pdf pages

Blocking translation of pdf pages
Jan 2, 2011 4:40 am by Nirmalanow
Is there a simple way to block translation of a particular type of page. I would prefer if gtranslate did not translate pdf pages on my site. Thanks.
Re: Blocking translation of pdf pages
Jan 15, 2011 3:27 pm by Nirmalanow
Could you please answer this question. I offer some free pdf ebooks on my site and I would prefer if they were not translated by Gtranslate. When I use the free version, these pdf ebooks are downloaded without being translated, but when I use the Pro version, then Gtranslate translates the entire pdf. Is there some way to turn off automatic translation on particular pages, or to turn it off for particular folders in Joomla? Or is there some kind of code I could put in the pdf itself so it is not translated? These are pdf files and not html. Thanks.
Jan 15, 2011 4:15 pm by Nirmalanow
I found your suggestion on this forum to use the following in the htaccess file: RewriteRule ^[a-z]{2}/signup/signup.php$ /signup/signup.php [QSA] RewriteRule ^zh-CN/signup/signup.php$ /signup/signup.php [QSA] RewriteRule ^zh-TW/signup/signup.php$ /signup/signup.php [QSA] This does not work and the pdf files are still translated. My site is endless-satsang.com Specifically, I tried the following in my .htaccess file: # gtranslate config RewriteRule ^[a-z]{2}/images/stories/pdfs$ /images/stories/pdfs [QSA] RewriteRule ^zh-CN/images/stories/pdfs$ /images/stories/pdfs [QSA] RewriteRule ^zh-TW/images/stories/pdfs$ /images/stories/pdfs [QSA] RewriteRule ^([a-z]{2})/(.*)$ /gtranslate/translate.php?lang=$1&url=$2 [L,QSA] RewriteRule ^([a-z]{2})$ /gtranslate/translate.php?lang=$1 [L,QSA] RewriteRule ^(zh-CN)/(.*)$ /gtranslate/translate.php?lang=$1&url=$2 [L,QSA] RewriteRule ^(zh-CN)$ /gtranslate/translate.php?lang=$1 [L,QSA] RewriteRule ^(zh-TW)/(.*)$ /gtranslate/translate.php?lang=$1&url=$2 [L,QSA] RewriteRule ^(zh-TW)$ /gtranslate/translate.php?lang=$1 [L,QSA] I also tried adding /(.*) after all of the "pdfs" and this gives a 404 error, which is actually better than having the program translate the ebooks. But I would prefer to have anyone clicking on a free ebook link on a translated version of the page: http://endless-satsang.com/free-spiritual-ebooks.htm be directed to the original and untranslated English version of the pdf. Any suggestion on how to do this?
Jan 19, 2011 1:00 pm by Nirmalanow
Any ideas or suggestions? Thanks.
Jan 22, 2011 9:07 pm by Nirmalanow
Can you at least tell me if this is possible? I am a paying customer.
Jan 27, 2011 3:08 pm by Nirmalanow
I keep posting on this question to bring it to the top of the list. I have been waiting almost a month for any suggestions. Can you at least tell me if this is possible? Again, I would like people who click on a link to download a free ebook be directed to the english version of the pdf. Thanks.
Feb 1, 2011 3:04 pm by Nirmalanow
Hey what is going on? I posted this question a month ago and I check the forum and you answer other questions, but never address this one. I paid for my Pro version and I would like some support. If you do not have a solution, of if you are working on a solution, that is fine. But please do not continue to ignore my question.
Feb 11, 2011 12:05 am by Nirmalanow
Still waiting for an answer
How do I get my question answered?
Feb 11, 2011 12:10 am by Nirmalanow
I have been posting and re-posting on here for well over a month asking a question about blocking PDF translation (see my post below this one on the forum). I check back every couple of days to see that you have answered several other questions, but I never receive an answer, not even a simple reply that what I am asking can not be done. What does it take to get my question answered? I paid for the Pro version and you were very helpful when I had trouble installing it. Can you please answer my question on the earlier post.
Feb 11, 2011 11:13 am by Edvard
Hi, Sorry about that, please try this instead: # gtranslate config RewriteRule ^([a-z]{2}|zh-CN|zh-TW)/images/stories/pdfs/(.*)$ /images/stories/pdfs/$2 [R=301,L] RewriteRule ^([a-z]{2}|zh-CN|zh-TW)/([a-z]{2}|zh-CN|zh-TW)/(.*)$ /$1/$3 [R=301,L] RewriteRule ^([a-z]{2}|zh-CN|zh-TW)/([a-z]{2}|zh-CN|zh-TW)$ /$1/ [R=301,L] RewriteRule ^([a-z]{2}|zh-CN|zh-TW)/(.*)$ /gtranslate/translate.php?lang=$1&url=$2 [L,QSA] RewriteRule ^([a-z]{2}|zh-CN|zh-TW)$ /gtranslate/translate.php?lang=$1 [L,QSA]
Feb 11, 2011 3:12 pm by Nirmalanow
Hi Edvard, That seems to work. Unfortunately, I am also getting 302 error messages so I have just turned off the Pro version for another 10 days. But before I did this, it seemed that the PDFs were opening up in English even in the Pro version. Is there any chance that these changes to the .htaccess file triggered the 302 errors and the message from Google about unsual traffic? Or is it probably just a coincidence that these errors showed up this morning right after I changed the .htaccess file? I tried reloading the original version of the .htaccess file and I am still getting 302 errors. It is random in that sometimes I get a translated page and sometimes I get the error mesage. It seems that some languages still work, but other languages are triggering the error message. This is the second time I have had to switch back to the free version. Hopefully, Google will not make the ban on my IP address permanent. My website is the only site on this IP address so it is not a problem with traffic from other sites. However, my website is quite large. Thanks for answering my question.
Feb 14, 2011 9:05 am by Edvard
Hi, Sorry to hear that. No, it is not the case with .htaccess. If the translated page is already cached, it will work, if not and your IP is blocked, you will get the error message.