Forum Archive - Are URL Rewrites enabled a requirement for GTranslate Pro?

Are URL Rewrites enabled a requirement for GTranslate Pro?
Jan 25, 2012 4:31 pm by nemmar
I installed the latest version of GTranslate Pro on my J2.5 site. In the Joomla backend Global Configurations for SEO settings I have the "Search Engine Friendly URLs" enabled and set to "Yes". Do I have to enable the "Use URL rewriting" and set it to "Yes" for GTranslate Pro to work properly? I would rather not use the URL rewriting on my site but if it's a requirement for GTranslate Pro to work best, then I will have to enable it. What is the difference for GTranslate if I have URL rewrites enabled/disabled? My prior site installation of GTranslate Pro did NOT have URL Rewrites enabled and maybe that is why Edvard asked me to use the "force_translation" in the .htaccess file. Is this the workaround for not enabled URL rewrites? Here is what the .htaccess code is: RewriteEngine On # gtranslate config RewriteRule ^([a-z]{2}|zh-CN|zh-TW)/([a-z]{2}|zh-CN|zh-TW)/(.*)$ /$1/$3 [R=301,L] RewriteRule ^([a-z]{2}|zh-CN|zh-TW)/([a-z]{2}|zh-CN|zh-TW)$ /$1/ [R=301,L] RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f RewriteRule ^([a-z]{2}|zh-CN|zh-TW)/(.*)$ /gtranslate/translate.php?lang=$1&url=$2&force_no_api=1&force_translation=1 [L,QSA] RewriteRule ^([a-z]{2}|zh-CN|zh-TW)$ /gtranslate/translate.php?lang=$1&force_no_api=1&force_translation=1 [L,QSA]
Re: Are URL Rewrites enabled a requirement for GTranslate Pr
Jan 26, 2012 12:36 am by Edvard
It is not necessary if you have installed it by following general/readme.txt, but it is highly recommended for SEO purposes. If you have installed Joomla plugin, it should be turned on.