Forum Archive - Exclude product names from translation

Exclude product names from translation
May 8, 2012 1:03 pm by ositron
Hi there. I did a little research in this forum but i couldn't get a definite answer to my question. My problem is this: Translation is affecting our product names and in some languages some technical terms. I worked around the most stuff with a simple text-replacer. It automatically adds a class="notranslate" to the element to prevent it from beeing translated. Yet, there are two problems with that: 1. product names in the page title are still translated. 2. product names or technical terms that are marked up with other code (e.g.: CAPI) are not affected by that rules I already read that the page title can be protected from translation in the next coming version. But that is not exactly what I need. Is there something like a blacklist for the translation.php or so to NOT translate the given words? This is not a small problem btw. One of our products is called "UMS" and most of our selected gtranslate languages translate is to "EMS". Because of this, EMS already has a higher weight in our keywords than UMS and thats really annoying! :? Hope you can help!
Re: Exclude product names from translation
May 8, 2012 8:07 pm by Yana
Hi, You should use class="notranslate" attribute. It works with any tag. Here is an example. <span class="notranslate"> Your text </span> There is no blacklist for translate.php . You can try to edit translation manually.
May 9, 2012 12:28 pm by ositron
Do you plan to have smth. like a blacklist or comparable in the future? I cannot believe that we are the only ones who like to protect their company/product names etc from beeing translated. Manual translation works fine, but it is a lot of work ;)
May 10, 2012 5:50 pm by Edvard
No. To do it you need to edit your original content and use notranslate class to add it to the "blacklist".