Forum Archive - Change of Joomlas default language

Change of Joomlas default language
May 21, 2012 9:59 am by payon
Hello, I wanted using gtranslate for my joomla 2.5 based website. But first, I would like to know, if gtranslate, when changing to another language, also automatically changes the joomlas default language. Because this would make sense. I have a joomla website using different components. And many of them (incl. Joomla core) already provide a set of different language files. So it would make sense, to get use of them, and when for example changing via gtranslate from english to french, also to change the core components and joomla's language to french and use the already existing language files. Because of this gtranslate then only should have to translate the "content" of a component. Is this possible or supported anyhow? Best regards payon
Re: Change of Joomlas default language
May 21, 2012 10:56 am by Yana
Hi, GTranslate doesn't change the default language and the core components. You will have a separate URL for each language. For example French version of your site will have http://domain.com/fr/ with Pro or http://fr.domain.com with Enterprise. The default language will stay as it is.
May 21, 2012 11:03 am by payon
Ok, but wouldn't be this a good idea to also change the joomla language of the joomla-front end? Many users did lot of work to translate the component and joomla core's specific text. So why not to use it, when it is already available. This would be a great extension to the current module (maybe as a selection in back-end). Because it would lead in less translation errors, as the language files were mostly translated manually by natives! How do you think about this "feature request"?
May 21, 2012 11:40 am by Yana
Thank you , we will consider it.
May 21, 2012 11:50 am by payon
Feel free to consider it. The community would appretiate this feature!