Forum Archive - Potential Bug

Potential Bug
Jul 31, 2012 10:34 am by landed
We have a site that can have a mix of Dutch and English content ! That should be fine if it were not for the fact that for example I set the default lang to English...ok so far. So for example we have a dutch article and then the trnaslate function cannot translate to English since it thinks it is already in english ! Some ideas - tried to make the default lang something NOT used like Vietnamse but I cannot for the life of me get English as an option to translate to if it is or isnt the default language. Is it checking joomla not the module for the lang ? My vietnamese fix should allow English to be selected but doesnt. :evil:
Re: Potential Bug
Jul 31, 2012 3:02 pm by Yana
Hi, Have you installed the Pro version or the Free version? For the GTranslate Pro version there is an option for mixed language content "Detect Main Language" .
Jul 31, 2012 3:37 pm by landed
I dont see it as a problem of detection of language as I can set the language to be for example vietnamese. Say I do that then I still cannot see a selectable option for English ! Its like it ignores that setting. So I don't think buying it will solve this issue. But if this issue persists I am unlikely to buy based on that. I think there must be code in there to actually stop the default language that gets detected from appearing in the dropdown, can someone test the pro version for me ? thanks
Aug 1, 2012 3:46 pm by landed
We may be interested in buying this if the bug is resolved ! Any chance this bug will get fixed. Thanks :|
Aug 2, 2012 7:04 am by Yana
Hi, Please post your website address, so I can check it and assist you.
Aug 2, 2012 7:54 am by landed
I am not able to do that as it is inside a secure area and contains sensitive information. Its easy to replicate - you can see this by trying to translate an english page into english on your site..It wont allow you. And that makes sense so far as we assume that ALL articles are in English but what if there is mixed content... copy some dutch language material into an article on a normally english site - so the site is now mixed language. The issue with the component is that the default language isnt possible to be set (it thinks that ALL articles are in English so never translate them into English). The fix is quite simply to allow the default language to display as a selectable language and have google translate it.
Aug 2, 2012 9:47 pm by Edvard
Hi, You will be able to achieve what you want using Enterprise version. Let's say that your mixed language site is domain.com, then English version will be en.domain.com, Spanish will be es.domain.com, etc...
Aug 3, 2012 8:56 am by landed
Hi No we will have a mixture of languages in a single domain! So at the moment it still isn't working for us. Can you replicate the bug yet ? :ugeek:
Aug 3, 2012 3:06 pm by Edvard
Hi, It is not a bug, it is a feature! It is not going to replace your original content by a different content. Your original will stay as is whether it has mixed languages or not. If you translate to other language your mixed content, then it will be translated into one language of your selection. What I suggest in your case is have your mixed content as it is now (domain.com) and host translated versions with GTranslate Enterprise on (en.domain.com, nl.domain.com, etc...).
Aug 3, 2012 3:42 pm by landed
If it doesn't work then surely its a bug ! Unfortunately the client is paying my comapny wants to do it their way so I'm not going to be likely to buy it as it doesn't work. If you cant see the bug then please ask me for a better explaination but I have tried to be very clear. Can you appreciate that we don't all want domains and some of us would like a single domain !
Aug 3, 2012 9:13 pm by Edvard
You may want it to make a coffee for you, but it is not designed for it. You can call it a bug if you wish. I've already explained how to achieve what your client wants. If you need a clarification, please don't hesitate to ask?
Aug 6, 2012 10:45 am by landed
That doesn't help I have tried to be polite and professional at all times ! I am merely trying to explain something that isn't working for sites who have mixed content. Can you accept that a site may indeed have bloggers on it who want to blog in their own language ? You have not given me any solution which is acceptable and maybe you are too busy to provide a decent level of support but I say this is not a cheap component and it is Beta since the functionality is not complete (lets not call it a bug). It should be a simple case to allow me to translate the defualt language - your code turns this off as a function I can see that but providing a check box that stops that is all I am asking and this is a feature. You might even get some sales with this new power ? As it stands I am going to have to probably hack this myself or start from scratch.
Aug 6, 2012 1:04 pm by Edvard
I must repeat one more time that it can translate mixed content sites to other languages other than the selected default language. In general in terms of SEO it is not a good practice to have a mixed content. I have offered you to migrate from Pro to Enterprise as a solution.
Aug 6, 2012 3:29 pm by landed
80 % Of the content will be in English but 20% will be foreign - google can detect this as the drop down appears when using chrome. At this time we just want to be able to select English and get the page translated - not hard to understand - and reading back through my posts I cant see how to explain more clearly. so will Enterprise fix this problem on not being able to translate dutch page on a default, what will enterprise give me that pro doesn't in this regard. We don't want SEO this is an intranet, please stop trying to guess what my client wants they know already and are a very big corp, they need a solution fitting their requirments. I have tried to help to spell that out and want to buy the product but for this 'issue' As it stands I cant buy your solution as it wont allow me to translate to the default lang.
Aug 6, 2012 6:42 pm by Yana
Hi, GTranslate Pro doesn't translate your website with mixed languages into your default language but you can use GTranslate Enterprise. In this case you will be able to translate your content with mixed languages into your default language and can access it by en.domain.com.
Aug 6, 2012 6:44 pm by landed
We CAN'T use subdomains in this project so I will have to find another solution, thanks for trying.