Forum Archive - Switching from Google fee-based API to something free...

Switching from Google fee-based API to something free...
Oct 16, 2011 12:44 am by [email protected]
I finally got translate pro to work perfectly with the Google Translate API, but it's costing me an arm and a leg. Only 2 days and I've already racked up an $80 bill... Is there a guide or could someone walk me through the process of switching to something free? Thanks, Ron
Re: Switching from Google fee-based API to something free...
Oct 17, 2011 10:24 am by Edvard
Hi, There is no need to pay Google. You just need to remove the API key and it will work without it still using the Google translate service. There is also an alternative free Bing translator which is also free and the translation quality is not any worse.
Oct 19, 2011 1:14 am by [email protected]
Do I just delete the key, or the the entire line including the "define" part? Is there any benefit to using the API key over the free service? Thanks, Ron
Oct 19, 2011 11:05 am by Edvard
Just delete the key you have added and leave it blank. Don't delete the definition. If you use the API you will be able to track the usage on the api console. It will give you some statistics data.