Troubleshooting GTranslate Pro

Popular automatic website translation tool

Troubleshooting GTranslate Pro

Postby Edvard » Wed Apr 06, 2011 12:02 am

Before we begin, make sure that you have unzipped gtranslate_domain.com.zip file and read readme.txt file. You can also read our online GTranslate Documentation.

Table of Contents:

1. After the installation when I select a language, nothing happens.

- Make sure that you have configured the GTranslate free module/widget to use Redirect translation method and turned on Operate with Pro option.

2. When I select a language I'm being redirected to a URL with the language code, but it gives me a blank page.

- Upload info.php file from the product package into gtranslate folder and access it with your browser: http://domain.com/gtranslate/info.php and make sure that you have cURL, ionCube, JSON installed, if something is missing contact your hosting provider and ask them to install.

- Try to enable the PHP error logging, to see the errors or check PHP error log.

- If no errors, try to enable debug: define('DEBUG', true); in gtranslate/config.php and refresh the page. After that you will see a debug.txt file inside gtranslate folder, where you will see the communication between your server and google translator. May be your host doesn't accept connections? Consult with your hosting provider.

3. When I select a language I'm being redirected to a URL with the language code, but it gives 404 not found error.

- Make sure that you have uploaded gtranslate folder to your www root folder.

- Make sure that you have .htaccess file and have placed # gtranslate config block to the next line of RewriteEngine On line in it.

- Make sure that you have Apache mod_rewrite or an alternative installed on your server (check with your hosting provider).

4. When I select a language I'm being redirected to a URL with the language code, but it gives 500 internal server error.

- Probably you have changed gtranslate folder permissions to 777 and/or all the files now have 777 permission. You need to set permissions to default for your host (you can remove and re-upload).

5. When I select a language I'm being redirected to a URL with the language code, but all the texts are being stripped.

- You have a wrong API key, edit gtranslate/config.php file and set a correct API_KEY which doesn't have &q in the end and/or any extra spaces. If you got something like this from Google: https:-//www.googleapis.com/language/translate/v2?key=AIzaSyD1rxxxxxxxxxxxRfElDIlo&q=flowers&source=en&target=fr&callback=handleResponse, your key will be between key= and &q=, in this case it is AIzaSyD1rxxxxxxxxxxxRfElDIlo . After you correct the key in config.php file, you will need to clear the contents of gtranslate/cache/XX folders.

6. When I select a language I'm being redirected to a URL with the language code, but I still can see the original language.

- If you have entered API key which is an optional feature make sure is correct or just remove it.

- Enable debug: define('DEBUG', true); in gtranslate/config.php, delete cache/limit.txt if it exists and refresh the page. After that you will see a debug.txt file inside gtranslate folder, where you will see the communication between your server and google translator. Check the request URL for a translation and the response. If you have reached the daily limit for your API key you need to wait. If you get a Bad Request then the API key is incorrect.

- If you see SSL CA certificate error, ask your hosting provider to fix that issue for you. If it is not possible to fix and/or you don't care, you can set SSL_VERIFY_PEER to false in gtranslate/config.php (available since v3.1415).

7. The translated page is always slow.

- Make sure that gtranslate/cache/XX folders are writable. After visiting a translated page, you will be able to find files in the appropriate language folder. If you don't see them, then set gtranslate/cache/XX folders permissions to 777.
Edvard
Site Admin