Forum Archive - joomla hierarchial menu and repeated language switching

joomla hierarchial menu and repeated language switching
Jan 3, 2012 1:31 am by applemagic
I have a hierarchical menu system on Joomla 1.5 and have been repeatedly switching between two language translations (German and Italian). I have noticed that the links in the menu system get confused and I end up seeing URLs with /de/it/ in them. Obviously the system has got confused along the way. I tried to fix it by turning off caching just for the menu systems in Joomla. That failed. I then turned off caching for all of Joomla and that seems to have made the problem go away. My web pages are relatively small and so I guess for the time being I don't need caching. The website responds at a decent speed without it anyway. But I was wondering if anybody else here has tested Joomla 1.5 and GTranslate aggressively by switching between language with a hierarchical menu system and found turning off caching fixes problems.
Re: joomla hierarchial menu and repeated language switching
Jan 3, 2012 3:59 pm by alt_f4
Had the same thing...it´s a conflict related to Mootools (JS)...try to switch your template/menu to CSS or something else. As an alternative, you´ll maybe try a Mootool Upgrade like http://extensions.joomla.org/extensions/core-enhancements/scripts/14643 and chaning the Mootools version. Regards, alt_f4
Jan 3, 2012 6:55 pm by applemagic
I went to my Plugin Manager in Joomla 1.5 and I found something already there called System - Mootools Upgrade But it was by default Disabled. So I enabled it and turn my global cache back on. I've experimented for the past 10 minutes and flicked between languages again and again and it seems the bug has gone now!!! However although I've turned the global cache back on, the individual module level caching of the menus is still turned off. I will experiment at another time on this one. Thanks for the tip. However it was originally a little difficult to reproduce this bug and so I hope it has been really fixed just by enabling the Mootools upgrade.
Jan 3, 2012 7:05 pm by applemagic
OK, I've now tried it with global caching on and local module level caching on for the menus. I cannot reproduce the bug at all now. It seems with the System Mootools Upgrade, the links in the hierarchical menu system work fine now even with intensive language switching. I'm quite happy with GTranslate now. I am very curious whether I will see increased, valuable traffic to my website in the next few months.
Jan 3, 2012 8:39 pm by applemagic
Opps, I spoke too soon! I am using Joomla 1.5. GTranslate Pro with hierarchical menus only works when I have global caching turned on, but menu caching (turned off at the modular level) turned off. I took a while for me to find this out and it seems at best difficult to reproduce. I had switched languages aggressively and everything looked fine. Then about an hour later I noticed a menu link problem. So now I've done back to menu caching off and so far it looks fine. SUMMARY: GLOBAL CACHING ON MENU CACHING OFF
Jan 4, 2012 12:25 pm by Edvard
You will need to use it with the menu module caching off.