Forum Archive - Mysite.com/topdomain issue

Mysite.com/topdomain issue
Aug 23, 2012 10:59 am by LAMF
Hello, I have GTranslate pro installed and it works fine... I think. The problem is that when I type in the real URL: www.lmiab.se and adds /ru or /de or /no or whatever topdomain it translates the site in this language!!! This is not good for SEO as my site becomes huuuge. I only want one extra language to be translated and that is English when I click the flag. How can I make all other languages disappear or should I say not transaltion to be done when typing /topdomain after the URL?
Re: Mysite.com/topdomain issue
Aug 23, 2012 2:16 pm by LAMF
Any news here? I got this problem on all my sites that has GTranslate Pro installed. BR Micke
Aug 24, 2012 8:14 am by Yana
Hi, You can write a redirect rule in your .htaccess to redirect unwanted languages to the homepage. Here is an example RewriteRule ^(ru|fr|de|nl)/(.*)$ /$1 [R=301,L]
Aug 29, 2012 12:15 pm by LAMF
Ok Yana thanks! So I just add this line: RewriteRule ^(ru|fr|de|nl)/(.*)$ /$1 [R=301,L] And add all languages I want? Will this remove al registered sites at Google as well? When you type: site:yourdomain.com in google I get something like 35000 articles and that's not so good as the articles are not relevant and refer to languages that I don't need to display.
Aug 29, 2012 1:53 pm by Yana
Hi, Yes, please add the languages which you want . Remove the languages from your sitemap.
Aug 31, 2012 10:47 am by LAMF
The problem remains. If I type in for example: www.lmiab.se/de I get a german translated page or if I type /fr I get a french translation etc. I have done the things you tell me to now, here's the line I have added in the .htaccess ## Redirect unwanted domains to start page RewriteRule ^(af|ar|az|be|bg|bn|ca|cs|cy|da|de|el|es|et|eu|fa|fi|fr|ga|gl|gu|hi|hr|ht|hu|hy|id|is|it|iw|ja|ka|kn|ko|lt|lv|mk|ms|mt|nl|no|pl|pt|ro|ru|sk|sl|sq|sr|sw|ta|te|th|tl|tr|ukur|vi|yi|zh-CN|zh-TW)/(.*)$ /$1 [R=301,L] Then I have in my sitemap.txt in the root of the public_html folder this lines: http://lmiab.se/en/ http://www.lmiab.se/en/ I have no sitemap.xml file.
Sep 3, 2012 2:30 pm by LAMF
Any updates to this issue? It's translating every top domain added to my usual url.
Sep 4, 2012 3:43 pm by Yana
Hi, Please make sure that you have added this rule after RewriteEngine On line .
Sep 6, 2012 8:45 pm by [email protected]
Jana, I have added the rule like this in the .htaccess file: RewriteEngine On RewriteRule ^(af|ar|az|be|bg|bn|ca|cs|cy|da|el|es|et|eu|fa|fi|fr|ga|gl|gu|hi|hr|ht|hu|hy|id|is|it|iw|ja|ka|kn|ko|lt|lv|mk|ms|mt|nl|no|pl|pt|ro|ru|sk|sl|sq|sr|sw|ta|te|th|tl|tr|ukur|vi|yi|zh-CN|zh-TW)/(.*)$ /$1 [R=301,L] It still translates the article I am on to any language I choose. :(
Sep 8, 2012 6:02 pm by Yana
Hi, If you can send me ftp access I'll try to fix the issue.
Sep 8, 2012 9:02 pm by [email protected]
I have sent you a PM regarding another site with the same issue. So if it can be solved there I suppose it can be solve everywhere. I have sent you alll login details in the PM.
Sep 11, 2012 9:03 pm by [email protected]
Did you get my PM regarding the login details? It is still not solved so it would be highly appreciated if it is possible at all to solve.
Sep 13, 2012 10:34 pm by Yana
Hi, I'm working on it. I'll let you know as soon as I fix it.
Oct 23, 2012 7:49 am by [email protected]
Hi, This is still not solved. If I typ in www.gagneffiske.se/id I get an Indonasian translation and if I type in www.gagneffiske.se/ru I get a russian translation. The problem is that I need to block out all languages except from English and German otherwise I get unwanted indexation in Google of all languages available in GTranslate and that is not good at all frpm a SEO perspective. I get like 20.000+ indexed pages but have like 700 if Swedish, English and German is counted. So how can I option out al other languages? If this isn't solvable I am afraid that GTranslate ha s a big problem as there are quite a lot of sites using it that probably doesn't want all their articles translated and indexated in all languages due to spam classification in Google etc. So please we need a solution to this in order to keep using GTranslate as it is ment to be. Best regards LAMF
Oct 25, 2012 12:54 pm by [email protected]
Hi, Another thing that needs to be solved is that in the component redirect in Joomla admin there is thousands of broken links generated from the GTranslate cache files in all languages. There must be a way to avoid these to be generated as well as to block all other languages that Swedish and English to be translated. And block all robots from crawling these unwanted languages.