Forum Archive - Nothing Translates

Nothing Translates
Sep 14, 2011 12:11 pm by stevo
Hi, I have followed all of the instructions in the readme file to install the pro version but I when I try and test out the installation using a language ont he URL e.g. http://fikatown.com/fr/ (for French) I get the page to load, but only in the default English language. Shouldn't this work? Also how can I check that Google is actually indexing the content in different languages? I assume it might take a while to appear on Google? Thanks
Re: Nothing Translates
Sep 14, 2011 12:32 pm by Edvard
You can check your API key usage on https://code.google.com/apis/console/ If you see that it doesn't give you daily 100.000 translation limit. Then you can switch to Bing. You can find how to do that from config.php file. If you want to use Google without API, you can use this rewrite rules instead: # gtranslate config RewriteRule ^([a-z]{2}|zh-CN|zh-TW)/([a-z]{2}|zh-CN|zh-TW)/(.*)$ /$1/$3 [R=301,L] RewriteRule ^([a-z]{2}|zh-CN|zh-TW)/([a-z]{2}|zh-CN|zh-TW)$ /$1/ [R=301,L] RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f RewriteRule ^([a-z]{2}|zh-CN|zh-TW)/(.*)$ /gtranslate/translate.php?lang=$1&url=$2&force_no_api=1 [L,QSA] RewriteRule ^([a-z]{2}|zh-CN|zh-TW)$ /gtranslate/translate.php?lang=$1&force_no_api=1 [L,QSA] The indexing can take some time. But you need to fix your http://fikatown.com/sitemap.txt Currently it is incorrect. Replace yourdomain.com with fikatown.com
Sep 14, 2011 12:42 pm by stevo
Hello, A few points 1) Check my API usage? I went to the link and beside the Translate it says "Pricing • Courtesy limit: 0 characters/day" Please do not tell me you need to pay additional for the service of translation on Google?? 2) For some reason the /fr translation started to kick in, just after you visited the site. I could see you via woopra. But it only translates the home page, not when I navigateand /FR is the only translation that works. /es /sv etc do not work, only English. 3) Use Google without the API - Can you explain why I would do this and is there a disadvantage? 4) As per point 3, can you let me know if all that text goes into the htaccess file? 5) thanks for pointing out the sitemap.txt, my bad. Note: I already I have a sitemap.xml and a gzipped one. I assume it is fine also having a sitemap.txt there too?
Sep 14, 2011 12:54 pm by Edvard
Please find my response below: 1) Check my API usage? I went to the link and beside the Translate it says "Pricing • Courtesy limit: 0 characters/day" Please do not tell me you need to pay additional for the service of translation on Google?? -- You can pay, but I think that you don't want ;) Currently Google is making their API commercial and not all the clients get a free courtesy limit. 2) For some reason the /fr translation started to kick in, just after you visited the site. I could see you via woopra. But it only translates the home page, not when I navigateand /FR is the only translation that works. /es /sv etc do not work, only English. After you use the suggested # gtranslate config block instead it will work. 3) Use Google without the API - Can you explain why I would do this and is there a disadvantage? There is a disadvantage. API is stable which will not change without notification. If you don't use API, Google can change their coding standards and in that case you need to make appropriate upgrade to continue getting new translations. So if you want 100% stability, you better pay Google or use Bing Translator instead. 4) As per point 3, can you let me know if all that text goes into the htaccess file? Yes, you need to use it instead of # gtranslate config block you already have. 5) thanks for pointing out the sitemap.txt, my bad. Note: I already I have a sitemap.xml and a gzipped one. I assume it is fine also having a sitemap.txt there too? Sure, you can have more than 1 sitemap.
Sep 14, 2011 1:07 pm by stevo
Hi, Ok, so I am a little confused as to what it is I am getting. 1) When I added the updated block to the htaccess file, the translations worked. 2) However, the site is super slow now in the different languages. Takes very long to the page to load. 3) I am not sure what the new block of code did you gave me but I am a little concerned that it is not working as I thought it would when I paid for the plugin. Is that bit of code slowing things down as I don't use the API?
Sep 15, 2011 8:29 am by Edvard
The first run can be slow. Please check if your gtranslate/cache is growing. Make sure that you have files in gtranslate/cache/fr directory. If you don't have you need to make sure that the language folders are writable.